I need advice: Apple refuses to remove Activation Lock after a scam.
Hello everyone,
I am looking for practical advice on a dispute with Apple over Activation Lock on my iPhone 12 Pro. I have tried Apple's standard support process, submitted evidence, received two refusals, and filed a formal complaint with Apple Distribution International in Ireland. I still have no clear explanation of the refusal or a meaningful route to challenge it.
What happened
On September 9, 2026, I was deceived during a fake remote copywriting recruitment process. The people involved used social engineering to persuade me to follow instructions involving an Apple Account that did not belong to me. My iPhone 12 Pro subsequently became affected by Activation Lock.
I later examined the technical logs from my MacBook and found records relating to the Apple Account involved in the incident. I also received an extortion demand for $95 in cryptocurrency. I did not pay it.
Proof of ownership
My son purchased two iPhones in the Czech Republic in one order. One was a gift for me; the other belongs to my husband and is not affected by Activation Lock. I have the original purchase documents, payment records, and photographs confirming that the devices' IMEI numbers correspond to those on the invoice. I have no dispute with the retailer.
What I have done
Contacted Apple Support and submitted supporting evidence.
Received a written refusal on September 14 and a second refusal by telephone on September 21.
Filed a formal complaint with Apple Distribution International on September 21, asking for a review, specific reasons for the refusal, and information about the procedure for challenging it.
Submitted additional police documentation on October 1.
Sent a registered letter with printed evidence on October 6.
Received Apple's acknowledgment of the registered letter on October 15. Instead of addressing my complaint, Apple directed me back to ordinary Support, which had already refused my request.
I have also submitted a separate request to Apple's Privacy Team for documentation relating to my case. That request is still pending.
I have the supporting records and can provide them if needed. I am deliberately leaving out personal identifiers and detailed technical evidence from this initial post.
What I need help understanding
Is there a practical escalation route for a legitimate device owner after Apple has refused Activation Lock removal twice?
Is there a consumer-protection organisation, ombudsman, regulator, or other body that could review the handling of this dispute with Apple Distribution International in Ireland?
Has anyone successfully challenged an Activation Lock refusal involving social engineering and provided proof of purchase?
Is there a way to obtain a substantive written decision, including the specific grounds for refusal and the procedure for challenging it, rather than being redirected to the same Support process?
My goal is to recover the use of my own phone. If Apple will not remove Activation Lock, I want a clear explanation of the reasons and a genuine opportunity to challenge the decision.
I would appreciate practical advice, relevant experience, or suggestions for the next step.
Thank you,
Anzhela
Bulgaria










