StubHub Not Acting on Seller Who Sold Invalid Tickets
Hi Chris,
Really appreciate all of the great consumer advocacy work that your team is doing. I wanted quick advice from you on how to manage a clear dispute with StubHub. I have kept all records and believe the case is rather black and white, but StubHub appears to be intentionally delaying case resolution, and wanted to make sure that I take the most effective next steps in the process.
Situation
On 9/15, I purchased Anaheim Ducks tickets on StubHub at an attractive price (below the typical price for the section).
~48 hours after purchase, the tickets in my Apple Wallet were invalidated without notice. I requested and received a written response from the Anaheim Ducks under CCPA, indicating that the transferred tickets were recalled.
The seller, a large broker, did not notify StubHub, so the order status remains "Tickets Delivered" - without valid tickets on hand, for 2+ weeks.
I called StubHub and separately reached out to @TeamStubHub on X to open the case to change the delivery status, and either re-transfer the tickets or find a replacement. StubHub "escalated to the internal review team" and gave me a response timeline, some of which have already passed without any contact or resolution.
The seller is evidently aware of the situation, and has since relisted some of the same seats at a higher price. I have reported this to StubHub for double listing, along with the proof of recall and invalidated tickets.
What I Want
The delivery status should immediately change to tickets not delivered.
I want the tickets, same or comparable, not a refund. If the seller can re-transfer the tickets, that would be ideal.
My fear is that StubHub will drag this out given that the games are 90+ days away, and simply offer a refund to allow the seller to get away (against their own Seller Policy that all contracts are binding and there is no cap on the penalties for replacement tickets), even if I escalate further. That would be extremely frustrating.
Where I Need Guidance On
I am happy to take the next steps independently, but would like your guidance on the approach. As early as next Tuesday (once all of the 5 resolution deadlines lapse), I am considering:
Filing a formal notice of dispute - which would force a 30 day resolution timeline per StubHub user policy (or arbitration)
Contacting the managers listed on Elliott Confidential (and if a warm intro / cc could be helpful)
Escalating this issue with government agencies (BBB, California AG, State Senator/Rep, etc.)
Should I take all three steps simultaneously (or something else)? What are the right pressure points that could force StubHub to act quickly, and not in a way that results in a "lazy refund"?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Best,
Stephen
Also, in case this is helpful - this is the latest message from StubHub. Essentially acknowledging the evidence, but not willing to give any resolution by saying that front line reps are "unable to make a determination".
We have received the evidence you've submitted and understand that the documentation indicates the tickets associated with the orders in question were recalled to the seller's account on September 17. [...]
We understand your position that this documentation supports your claim of non-delivery and your request that either:
The seller return the recalled tickets, or
Comparable or better replacement tickets be provided under the FanProtect Guarantee.
We also understand your concern regarding the delay, particularly since the original review timeframe has already passed. At this time, the review remains with the specialized team. While we're unable to make a determination through social media support, we've documented your request for an expedited resolution and your concerns regarding the outstanding review.











